Thursday, May 28, 2009

I am not too sure what is going on I just know God is in the mist of it!

I am not really sure what’s going on right now seems its as if things keep getting more and more complicated!

David got out of surgery around 2:30. Doctors can not find the catheter (tube) that ran from his shunt to his stomach. The nuero surgeon searched and even had a pediatric surgeon come to assist him. They had to make the incision larger than they liked so now David has a new scar about two inches long in the middle of his stomach. After several attempts they were still never able to locate the catheter. They discussed risk and felt that the longer David was under anastia and his incision was open the higher risk of infection and complications so they deicide to sew him up and run scans in the morning.

At this point they are going to leave the catheter inside of him and we are crossing our fingers that it will not create any problems. The doctor says that he has a lot of scaring and that removing it might also create complications. Once they reconnected his shunts the doctor said that fluid rushed through. I can only imagine the pressure in his little head. Right before surgery we notice his one side of his chest was puffy and swollen. It ended up being the spinal fluid from David’s brain trying to force its way out of his head through his body.

They think that the shunt could have possibly broken because of its location. It has to be were it is now so that it can reach and drain the cyst on the left side of his brain. The doctor who operated says he doesn’t know what we can do if it breaks again which could happen so I hope to discuss that with Dr. Moss today.

In addition they ran a culture on his spinal fluid found some white cells which indicates infection. For now they will monitor him on antibiotics so there is no plan for an external drain and surgery. Please pray that this is not the case because if it is that will be a drain that runs the fluid out of his body for up to 14 days and then at least two more surgeries.

I have had better days with better news and more sleep but I am hanging in there!

2 comments:

  1. Oh My word Michelle! My prayers go out to you today... and tonight and always.. you are such a strong woman. I am sick so it's probably not a good idea that I come to the hospital, but if you need anything... ANYTHING AT ALL.. even if you don't NEED it and just want it.. I will make sure you get it. -k-?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, please know you and David are in my prayers! God Bless, please let me know if I can help in any way.
    You are amazing women, I value your strenght and courage.

    ReplyDelete