Tuesday, September 11, 2012

This past Sunday my Pastor gave a sermon about scars, their significance, and what they represent. 

He referenced John 20:20
"When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord." 

He spoke on how it was the scars that Jesus bared in his hands, feet, and side that made him identifiable to his people.  Once they were able to see the scars the people could confirm that it was indeed Jesus Christ resurrected.

My scars run deep, but they do however verify that I love a real and loving God because as my pastor stated "if you have scars you are still alive" which is the true testament of the ordeal that caused the scar in the first place. 

In September of 2006 I was given an assignment in a reflective writing class to write about a physical scar and its correspondence to an internal scar.


This was my entry:
“His little head carries many scars.  Twenty seven to be exact.  Each one represents a difficult moment in our lives.  A challenge which left emotional scars much deeper than the visual scars seen on his head.  A reminder that 27 times doctors entered his little brain and all 27 times mommy waited and prayed, cried, and prayed some more.  His scars are a constant reminder that any day could be time for 28.”

Now David's scars total 31 and I no longer see them as a reminder of what is to come, I allow them to remind us of how much we have already overcome.   I am learning to embrace our scars for they only represent dark times in our lives if I allow them too.  My God is real and David's scars are proof that miracles happen.
  
Our scars tell a story of strength, faith, hope, endurance, and a God beyond measure.  Will you allow your scars to testify the same story????

No comments:

Post a Comment